Medina is a small city located in King County, Washington. The population of Medina is approximately 3,000 people according to the 2010 census. The geography of Medina is bordered by Lake Washington to the west and Bellevue to the east. It is a relatively flat city with many parks and open spaces. See topbbacolleges for information about Adams County, Washington.
The climate in Medina is typical of the Pacific Northwest region with mild, wet winters and warm, dry summers. Average temperatures range from lows in the 30s during winter months to highs in the 70s during summer months. Precipitation levels are moderate throughout the year, with an average annual rainfall of 40 inches.
Medina’s history dates back to 1892 when it was first settled by homesteaders who were attracted by its proximity to Lake Washington and its potential for development. Agriculture was an important part of early life in Medina and much of its economy was based on farming until the mid-20th century when it began to transition towards more suburban living.
Education has always been important in Medina with an emphasis placed on academic excellence and personal growth for students at all levels. The Medina City School District serves public school students from kindergarten through high school as well as providing private school options for those who wish to pursue them further.
There are several landmarks around town that make it unique including the historic Lillian Anderson House, which was built in 1902; the Lake Washington Ship Canal Bridge; and several parks such as Idylwood Park, which provides a great view of Lake Washington from its beachfront area, as well as numerous trails for hiking or biking enthusiasts. Finally, there are several cultural events that take place each year such as art festivals and outdoor concerts which bring residents together for fun and entertainment throughout different seasons of the year.
Population: 3,011. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,032 (+0.7% change)
Males: 1,476 (49.0%), Females: 1,535 (51.0%)
Zip code: 98039
Median resident age: 42.9 years
Median household income: $133,756
Median house value: $789,600
Races in Medina:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.6%)
- Chinese (2.5%)
- Two or more races (1.7%)
- Hispanic (1.4%)
- Asian Indian (0.8%)
- Japanese (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
Ancestries: English (25.7%), German (21.5%), Irish (17.8%), Norwegian (7.3%), Scottish (6.0%), Swedish (4.6%).
Elevation: 125 feet
Land area: 1.4 square miles
Neah Medina, Washington is a small rural community located in the northwest corner of the state. It has a population of about 2,000 people, most of whom are employed in the local timber industry. The cost of living in Neah Medina is relatively low compared to other areas in Washington State. Housing prices are relatively reasonable and utilities and other services are also fairly affordable. The median household income is around $45,000 per year and the median home value is just over $200,000. The unemployment rate is low and there are plenty of job opportunities for those willing to work hard. Education levels tend to be higher than average in Neah Medina as well, with nearly 80% of residents having at least some college education. The local economy is largely driven by agriculture, forestry and tourism industries. Residents enjoy a variety of outdoor activities such as camping, fishing, hunting and skiing that can be found close by in the nearby mountains or along the nearby coastline. Overall Neah Medina provides its residents with an affordable cost of living and ample opportunities for employment and recreation.
For population 25 years and over in Medina
- High school or higher: 98.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 73.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 30.9%
- Unemployed: 0.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Medina city
- Never married: 13.1%
- Now married: 77.3%
- Separated: 0.1%
- Widowed: 3.9%
- Divorced: 5.5%
8.5% Foreign born (3.4% Europe, 2.6% Asia, 1.2% Oceania).
Population change in the 1990s: -85 (-2.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Medina:
- OVERLAKE HOSPITAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 3 miles; BELLEVUE, WA)
- SWEDISH MEDICAL CENTER (about 6 miles; SEATTLE, WA)
- CHILDREN’S HOSP & REGIONAL MED CTR (about 6 miles; SEATTLE, WA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Medina:
- BOEING FIELD/KING COUNTY INTL (about 9 miles; SEATTLE, WA; Abbreviation: BFI)
- SEATTLE-TACOMA INTL (about 15 miles; SEATTLE, WA; Abbreviation: SEA)
- SNOHOMISH COUNTY (PAINE FLD) (about 19 miles; EVERETT, WA; Abbreviation: PAE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Medina:
- SEATTLE SEAPLANES (about 6 miles; SEATTLE, WA; Abbreviation: 0W0)
- KENMORE AIR HARBOR (about 7 miles; SEATTLE, WA; Abbreviation: W55)
- KENMORE AIR HARBOR INC (about 9 miles; KENMORE, WA; Abbreviation: S60)
Amtrak stations near Medina:
- 7 miles: SEATTLE (303 S. JACKSON ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 17 miles: EDMONDS (211 RAILROAD AVE.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Medina:
- CITY UNIVERSITY (about 3 miles; BELLEVUE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 4,007)
- SEATTLE UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; SEATTLE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 4,743)
- SEATTLE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-CENTRAL CAMPUS (about 6 miles; SEATTLE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 4,386)
- BELLEVUE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 7 miles; BELLEVUE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 7,013)
- LAKE WASHINGTON TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 7 miles; KIRKLAND, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,328)
- ART INSTITUTE OF SEATTLE (about 8 miles; SEATTLE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,313)
- SEATTLE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-NORTH CAMPUS (about 9 miles; SEATTLE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,489)
Public primary/middle school in Medina:
- MEDINA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 419; Location: 8001 NE 8TH STREET; Grades: KG – 06)
Private primary/middle school in Medina:
- ST THOMAS SCHOOL (Students: 182; Location: PO BOX 124; Grades: PK – 6)