According to Ehistorylib.com, Stonewall, Texas is located in Central Texas and is part of the Hill Country region. The city is located about 25 miles northeast of Austin and has a population of just over 3,000 people. The climate in Stonewall is typical for the area, with hot summers and mild winters.
The history of Stonewall dates back to the early 1800s when a group of settlers arrived in the area and established a fort on a hill overlooking the Pedernales River. This fort was later named Fort Stonewall Jackson and served as an important military outpost during the Civil War. After the war ended, many of these settlers stayed in the area and established a small town that would eventually become Stonewall.
The politics of Stonewall are largely conservative, with strong Republican leanings. The economy is primarily based on agriculture, although there are some small businesses as well. There are several schools in Stonewall including an elementary school, middle school, high school, and community college.
One popular landmark in Stonewall is Fort Martin Scott Historic Site which sits atop a hill overlooking the Pedernales River valley. This site offers visitors a glimpse into what life was like during the 19th century when this fort was an important military outpost for both Texan settlers and Confederate forces alike. Other landmarks include historic buildings such as the Old Town Hall Building which housed early municipal offices before being converted into a museum; as well as several churches built by early settlers to serve their spiritual needs.
With its rich history and beautiful scenery, Stonewall remains an attractive destination for tourists looking to explore Central Texas’ Hill Country region while also experiencing some unique culture found nowhere else in Texas or even America itself!
Males: 238 (50.7%), Females: 231 (49.3%)
Zip code: 78671
Median resident age: 36.8 years
Median household income: $36,210
Median house value: $82,200
Races in Stonewall:
- White Non-Hispanic (64.0%)
- Hispanic (35.2%)
- Other race (17.9%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (37.1%), Irish (9.0%), Polish (8.5%), English (7.7%), United States (5.8%), Italian (4.5%).
Land area: 15.2 square miles
Stonewall, Texas is a small town with a population of just under 2,000 people. It is located in the Texas Hill Country, an area known for its rolling hills and scenic views. The town was founded in 1873 and has remained largely unchanged since then. The majority of the population is white and Christian. There are also smaller populations of Hispanic, African American, and Native American residents. The median household income is slightly lower than the national average at $43,000 per year and the median home value is about $140,000. Stonewall has a low cost of living which makes it attractive to those looking for an affordable place to live. Despite its small size, Stonewall has plenty of amenities to offer its residents including several restaurants, parks, and shops. The town also boasts a vibrant arts community with several galleries and performance venues scattered throughout the downtown area. With its picturesque scenery, friendly people, and low cost of living, Stonewall is an ideal place to call home.
For population 25 years and over in Stonewall
- High school or higher: 61.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.5%
- Unemployed: 9.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Stonewall CDP
- Never married: 14.3%
- Now married: 65.9%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 8.4%
- Divorced: 11.5%
2.8% Foreign born (2.8% Latin America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Stonewall:
- HILL COUNTRY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL INC (about 16 miles; FREDERICKSBURG, TX)
- LLANO MEMORIAL HEALTHCARE SYSTEM (about 34 miles; LLANO, TX)
- KERRVILLE STATE HOSP (about 37 miles; KERRVILLE, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Stonewall:
- SAN ANTONIO INTL (about 51 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SAT)
- LACKLAND AFB (KELLY FLD ANNEX) (about 60 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SKF)
- AUSTIN-BERGSTROM INTL (about 69 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Abbreviation: AUS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Stonewall:
- GILLESPIE COUNTY (about 17 miles; FREDERICKSBURG, TX; Abbreviation: T82)
- SUNRISE BEACH (about 30 miles; SUNRISE BEACH VILLAGE, TX; Abbreviation: 2KL)
- KESTREL AIRPARK (about 35 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: 1T7)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Stonewall:
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT SAN ANTONIO (about 47 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 14,495)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE-SAN ANTONIO (about 52 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,303)
- UNIVERSITY OF THE INCARNATE WORD (about 54 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,734)
- ST MARYS UNIVERSITY (about 55 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,588)
- SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE (about 55 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 11,226)
- TRINITY UNIVERSITY (about 55 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,474)
- SOUTHWEST TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 56 miles; SAN MARCOS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 18,822)
Public primary/middle school in Stonewall:
- STONEWALL EL (Students: 91; Location: 220 PEACH ST; Grades: PK – 05)